Employment Opportunities at AYS
Work with us!
Director of Community Engagement
Position: Director of Community Engagement
Classification: Full-Time, Non-exempt
Reports to: Executive Director
Location: Los Angeles / El Segundo
The American Youth Symphony is accepting applications for a Manager or Director of Community Engagement. There is one full-time position available, which will be hired at the Manager or Director level, depending on candidate qualifications.
The AYS office is currently located mid-Wilshire in Los Angeles, and will be moving to offices on Rosecrans in El Segundo at the end of July.
The mission of the American Youth Symphony is to inspire the future of classical music. We approach this in two ways: providing training opportunities for the next generation of orchestral musicians and building audiences for the art form. A core value of AYS is that classical music plays a vital role in our communities and should be accessible to everyone. AYS produces full-orchestra and chamber concerts that feature a wide variety of symphonic music, most of which are free to attend. Full-orchestra concerts are performed at Royce Hall and Disney Hall, while chamber performances are held in a variety of community spaces, including places of worship, LAX, museums, and other nonprofits.
AYS seeks a creative, resilient person with excellent communication skills to be the next Manager or Director of Community Engagement. Successful candidates will share a deep, genuine interest in sharing orchestral music with the many communities within the Los Angeles area. AYS is run by a small and dedicated staff, with each member guiding ownership of their own projects as well as collaborating with and helping others. The Manager/Director of Community Engagement drives initiatives in marketing, communications, audience development, and community education, including the Share-A-Stand program for middle school students. The person in this position will serve as the AYS point of contact for many people and organizational partners.
Essential Roles & Responsibilities:
- Marketing & Communications- Create a marketing plan with the Executive Director and PR consultant, and drive implementation of the plan, to include: creation and distribution of promotional pieces for print and online; social media content and response; press releases and publicity; website content; create/manage in-house graphic design and direct outside designers; schedule photographers and videographers for events
- Community Engagement- Design and manage audience experience surrounding concerts, including box office and front-of-house; Create educational resources, materials, and experiences relevant to concert programming; Oversee the Share-A-Stand teaching artist program; Advise Concertmaster and Citizen Musician fellows on curation and production of their projects; Act as AYS point of contact for many people and partners
- Development Support- Support the Executive Director and Development Associate in producing 2-3 fundraising events per year; Occasionally edit grant and fundraising copy to ensure consistency with AYS branding and voice; Create or manage graphic design for development materials
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to stay professional and positive in fast-paced situations, customer service experience
- Superior writing, editing, and communication skills, as well as strong organizational skills and creative problem-solving skills. Director-level candidates should have strong strategic thinking and leadership abilities.
- Familiarity with developing and implementing a marketing plan and managing brand identity. Director-level candidates will have more experience creating and directing a variety of marketing strategies.
- A keen eye for design and experience working with graphic designers. Ability to create some graphic design in-house with Adobe Creative Cloud preferred.
- Basic knowledge of orchestral music, such as instruments and major composers, is required. Experience playing an orchestral instrument is a plus.
- Understanding of music education practices, such as VAPA standards, as well as community or family engagement programming. Director-level candidates will have experience producing community or youth education programs and events.
- Ability to read, understand, and adhere to budgets. Director-level candidates will be able to create project/program budgets and execute within budget.
The American Youth Symphony is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) dedicated to diversity, inclusion, accessibility, and equity. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability or any other legally protected characteristics. Everyone is encouraged to apply for available employment to ensure our staff reflects the diversity of our visitors and surrounding communities.
To apply, send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with subject line: Community Engagement Application.