- The Concerto Competition will be held in Los Angeles, California, on January 29, 2017, under the auspices of the American Youth Symphony. This Competition is open to all members (all instruments) of the 2016/17 Season for performance during the 2017/18 season.
- The application form will be available on the AYS website (aysymphony.org) beginning December 7, 2016.
- All correspondence should be addressed to:
Director of Orchestra Operations
January 13, 2017
January 18, 2017
Notification of Live Audition time
January 29, 2017
Live Audition (closed to public)
February 4, 2017
All materials must be received by the AYS Director of Orchestra Operations no later than January 13, 2017.
- The Concerto Competition is open to all 2016/17 AYS orchestra members.
- Repertoire choices are open to any standard concerto for solo instrument and orchestra. Repertoire must be memorized for Live Auditions. Exceptions may be made for some works (i.e. contemporary music or chamber works) with prior approval from the Director of Orchestra Operations.
- Once an application is submitted, changes in repertoire will not be allowed.
- Applicants must provide their own accompanist for the Live Audition.
- Applicant must provide the judges with at least one original copy of their selected music at the time of audition.
- To complete your application, the following documents must accompany each application form:
(a) A current one-page biography or resume.
(b) List of major solo works and chamber music in the applicant’s repertoire, together with the dates most recently performed.
(c) A recommendation letter from current teacher or a musician of acknowledged standing.
Procedures for the Competition
- Applicants should retain copies of all material sent with their applications. The American Youth Symphony will accept no responsibility for lost documents.
- An acknowledgement will be sent to each applicant upon receipt of the completed application form and accompanying documents. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- All applications will be reviewed by the Competition Artistic Committee and treated as confidential. The Committee reserves the right to request additional information from or about an applicant.
- The order of appearance of performers in the Live Auditions will be determined upon applicants availability. The Competition will follow this order except, at the discretion of the Chairman of the Jury, for reasons of accident, illness, or other unusual circumstances.
- The Live Audition for the Concerto Competition will be recorded and videotaped for subsequent video, or audio recording use. It is anticipated that parts or all of the Competition will be made available on the Internet. Camera crews may photograph all Competition events. Neither the American Youth Symphony nor its assignees or licensees may be held liable for any payments to finalists arising out of materials derived from Competition performances. Applicants are required to sign a release form yielding all rights on such materials to the American Youth Symphony, its assignees or licensees.
Prizes and Engagements
Winner: $1,000 Scholarship to be used for career advancing opportunities, and an opportunity to perform with the American Youth Symphony for a concert date to be determined at a future date during the 2017/18 Season at Royce Hall, UCLA.